Self-Directed Support is when:

  • You are in control of the money you get for your support
  • You can choose how to spend the money for your support
  • You can choose things about your life - for example, who you want to get support from
  • You can get help to do these things if you need it.


Who can you ask about Self-Directed Support

You can ask:

  • A care manager or social worker
  • Other people at the council who know about Self-Directed Support
  • People who support you now
  • Your friends or family
  • Someone who already has a Personal Budget
  • People who work for SACMHA

How does Self-Directed Support Work?


There are things that should happen when you direct your support :-

7 steps to being in control.

  1. Find out how much money you can get to spend on support.
  2. Make a plan, the plan will say how you will spend the money.
  3. Get your plan agreed. A care manager or social worker will have to agree the plan before you can get the money.
  4. Organise your money. When your plan is agreed and you get your money. You can have it yourself in a direct payment OR you can choose someone to look after the money for you.
  5. Organise your support. This is when you sort out the support you want and who will help you with this.
  6. Living life. This is about living your life in a way that is meaningful to you.
  7. Seeing how it worked. Your care manager or social worker will meet with you to see how your plan is. working and how you are spending your money.

The mental capacity Act says some people must have an Attorney or Deputy to make decisions about money, health and support. This is for people who can't decide things themselves - who 'lack capacity'.


If you would like someone to explain it all to you in detail contact SACMHA by phone or email.


If you would like to know more about taking control of your support, speak to a member of staff at SACMHA, who will discuss and explain this in detail with you.

Positive about disabled people -150x150


Join our mailer

Updates about our work and volunteering opportunities

View Services


84 Andover Street,
South Yorkshire,
S3 9EH


Call or mail us

Tel: 0114 2726393

Fax: 0114 2706836

Contact Us

Registered Charity No. 1058006

 A company Limited by Guarantee No.3215318

Connect with us

Follow by Email